Wednesday, December 21, 2011

'Tis the Season for Chili Peppers!

BathroomFarmer feels like dancing this holiday season because results are showing after failing forward on this project this year! I started with nothing but a willingness to learn and to experiment and I think I'm finally getting my personal permaculture act together!





The peppers have grown much since my last post! The chili peppers have started to bloom. Because of total lack of BUGginess in my garden, I need to help mother nature and "get in the business" with a water moistened paintbrush and pollinate the flowers by hand.



Look at this! Teeny tiny chili peppers are starting to appear as the blossoms fade! The best news is that there are many more buds forming. According to many sources, chili pepper plants will live for several years in containers!










The collards have also begun to develop sizable leaves! They are growing both up and down in this inverted beverage bottle hung on the wall. I'm not sure if I like inverted growing, but wanted to try it anyway. So far so good. It is definitely an option to better use the space at the lower edge of my nailable surface.




Not to be out done, the green globe pepper plants have nearly doubled in size since I added the fluffier soil mix containing peat moss and perlite to their containers. And, yes, I do see buds forming here, too!





The official holiday foliage on the BathroomFarm is definitely chili pepper blossoms this year. No need for poinsettias here. For all of you who prefer a traditional decoration, here's some more musical inspiration from the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment